Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog Post on Exposure

     I found the Chapter on exposure techniques to be extremely informative. Exposure is how the light reading meters come through your lenses to transmit the picture onto your camera. There is a lot of help from the histogram to check how accurate the picture turned out due to the immediate feedback you get with the camera. Exposure is mainly based off of the aperture and shutter speed, which you can control manually or if you set one then the camera will set the other.
     The histogram on your camera works right along side the aperture and shutter speed. You can check the exposure using your histogram to check if the whole scene was collected through your shot. If the picture is not suitable then you can simply just adjust the shutter speed and aperture to you receive the best exposure. I think that the histogram, along with the shutter speed and aperture will come in handy when I begin taking pictures in the field. Once I have experience I should be able to get the correct exposure for my photographs very quickly. Which will be very beneficial because if I keep having to change my aperture and shutter speed to get the correct exposure then I may lose my chance for the right time to shoot the picture.
     One section of the exposure chapter that seemed extra important to me was the metering section. I still need practice with the meters on my camera so I know how to adjust the settings to help the shot. For instance, if I was shooting a snowy scene I need to fix the light meters so that the snow doesn't turn up gray.  Some of the metering features just help you focus on certain regions of the photograph, which may actually come in handy for me when I have to shoot animals and I want to focus mainly on the head region.
     The aperture feature on the camera is basically there to capture depth of field, it can range from extremely small in size to extremely large in size. If you manually set the aperture then your camera is going to set the shutter speed accordingly for you. It's just the other way around if you set the shutter speed in stead of the aperture. The shutter speed mode will allow me to capture the pictures at various speeds. If I am looking for a very still, almost frozen image then I will need to turn the shutter speed up very high.   
     I am extremely excited, yet nervous to begin shooting in different light scenes. I believe that the sunset and sunrise photographs will be my favorite. I love the natural lighting the comes from the suns rays. I also think it will be a difficult task at trying to get a good contrast between the dark and light segments in a photo, but I am really excited to see the end results of my photographs using these light techniques and the rest of the techniques also mentioned in the chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment